בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



28 Jun 2012

Without His help

Jewishmom published an excerpt ftom an interview with Eva Sandler in the Mishpacha magazine in a post titled Eva Sandler, 3 months later.

“In the months before the shooting, as a teacher I placed much emphasis in my classroom on the blessing of asher yatzar, which thanks Hashem for the healthy functioning of the human body. I don’t know why I was so focused on this blessing. But when I stood there at the scene [of the terror attack], the words of the blessing went through my head: ‘Ee efshar l’hitkayem v’laamod lifanecha, afila sha’ah echat—without your help, Hashem, it is impossible to exist before You even for one hour.’ And I realized that it is not literally an hour, but even a single moment. I saw it with my own eyes.”
Continue reading: http://jewishmom.com/2012/06/27/eva-sandler-3-months-later/

This morning I read an article titled S.C. TV Reporter Loses Her Smile after a Bell's Palsy Attack in which Mary King details how she realized that "she couldn't move the right side of her face or blink her right eye."  Thankfully, she had had a remarkable recovery from Bell's Palsy.
"Really, the prayers and keeping the hope and believing in your heart that this will get better was the key," King said. "Perspective is everything."
http://news.yahoo.com/c-tv-reporter-loses-her-smile-bells-palsy-164432652--abc-news-wellness.html

I am acquainted with a number of people who had Bell's Palsy. I am sure that they pay extra attention to the prayer of "pokeach ivrim" (the blessing associated with the eyes) when they are first diagnosed and as they make their way towards recovery. But, a couple of years down the line, I think that the blessing is recited by rote and little attention is given to thanking Hashem and being cognizant that without His help, it is impossible to exist even for one hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment