בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



5 Jul 2011

Our day in court

Years ago, my mother passed a stop sign. A policeman pulled her over and she went on to explain that she hadn't seen the sign, to no avail.
My father took pictures of the sign which was not visible to my mother, due to the foliage which had obstructed her view.
My mother's day in court arrived and my father had his day in court, cross examining the policeman, asking questions about the angle where he was standing from the stop sign and so on.
After his interrogating the policeman, my father introduced the pictures he took into evidence.
The judge took one look at the pictures and asked my father, "Why didn't you show this to me in the first place? Case dismissed."
I thought of the incident when I read Rabbi Yaakov Salomon's article at Aish.com about his day in traffic court.
He described his feelings in court as follows.

"I started feeling a bit light-headed and a slight quiver emerged on my bottom lip.
Wow, I thought, I am really nervous about this thing. How absurd is that?"

Click here to read how the case turned out.

As I was reading the article, I couldn't help but think that if the author of the article was nervous about a day in court regarding a traffic violation, can we imagine how much more nervous we will be at our day in court after 120 years?
How about if we spend the rest of our ad meah veesrim shana in building up a strong defense in the most important case yet to come?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for bringing Rabbi Yaakov Solomon's story to our attention. It is an object lesson in everything that is wrong with the attitude of so many frum people who believe they can break the law and get away with it because we have God on our side. His "happy ending" only reinforces this mindset which has resulted in the many Chilulei Hashem we have recently witnessed in our community. Thanks again for alerting us to this dangerous trend.

    ReplyDelete