בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



4 Aug 2010

Faith and gratitude - Part 2

Speaking about faith, Gary Gutting, who teaches philosophy at the University of Notre Dame, wrote an article titled Philosophy and Faith.

One of my jobs as a teacher of bright, mostly Catholic undergraduates is to get them thinking about why they hold their religious beliefs.
I myself, the product of a dozen years of intellectually self-confident Jesuit education, have little sympathy with the “it’s just faith” response. “How can you say that?” I reply. “You wouldn’t buy a used car just because you had faith in what the salesperson told you. Why would you take on faith far more important claims about your eternal salvation?”

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/philosophy-and-faith/

I would love to listen to an intellectual discussion between Professor Gutting and Maimonides, erudite Torah scholar, court physician and compiler of the 13 principles of Jewish faith.
Alas, that won't come about until the resurrection of the dead (13th principle.) In the meantime, Professor Gutting, how do I know that you are who you say you are? Or should I take that as a matter of faith?
(And I am grateful that my blog title reflects the 12th principle of faith.)

No comments:

Post a Comment