בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



11 Mar 2010

A beneficent eye

One of the character traits the Talmud praises is called "a beneficent eye" (Ethics of the Fathers 2:13). This is cited as one of the outstanding features of the patriarch Abraham's character. "A beneficent eye" means taking pleasure in another person's good fortune, based on the profound faith that whatever is destined to be mine will be mine. No one can encroach on what was preordained for me.
Living Each Day By Abraham J. Twerski

Last night I witnessed something I've never experienced before. I saw someone rejoice at another person's good fortune to such a spectacular degree that I realized I was seeing something special.
Yesterday I attended a function in honor of the 75th yarzheit of Sarah Schenirer (1883 - 1935) the founder of the first Jewish Orthodox education system for girls. (Actually, the yarzheit begins Thursday evening.) Seated behind a table at the entrance to the auditorium were a number of women. I recognized one and struck up a conversation with her. I asked her if she had heard the good news that the youngest of the three Israeli bochurim currently in jail in Japan was en route to Israel. She hadn't heard the news. As I related to her the good tidings, a broad smile lit her face. She jumped up from the table and gave me a big kiss on the cheek and wished that we should hear more good news in the future.
This woman exhibited unadulterated happiness for a stranger. It is a genuine joy that I will never forget.
Let us continue to pray for a positive outcome for Yoel Zev ben Mirel Reesa Chava and Yaakov Yosef ben Raizel.
This morning I read on IsraelNationalNews how Knesset member Uri Ariel, "directed a plea to US Vice President Joe Biden plea to free Jonathan Pollard."
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/136451



Unfortunately, I don't think the timing is that great after Biden condemned Israel just the past day.
Let's pray for Yonatan ben Malca and Gilda ben Aviva that they should be released from imprisonment. And may we rejoice in others' good fortunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment