בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



13 Dec 2009

Eating yourself to death

After starting a new diet, I altered my drive to work to avoid passing my favorite bakery.
I accidentally drove by the bakery this morning and as I approached, there in the window were a host of goodies.
I felt this was no accident, so I prayed, "Lord, it's up to you, if you want me to have any of those delicious goodies, create a parking place for me directly in front of the bakery."
And sure enough, on the eighth time around the block, there it was!
God is good!

After an overweight man in the neighborhood suffered a stroke with devastating consequences, I resolved to post about the importance of losing weight.
To offer some encouragement, read about a man who is walking from NY to the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia to encourage the community to keep fit.
....Shraga weighed 323 pounds 13 years ago, and he says he was barely able to get out of a chair. He started losing weight, and then suffered a massive heart attack 3 years ago - while weighing 260 pounds. His doctor said he would never walk again, and was diagnosed with diabetes, heart problems, and high cholesterol.
He was determined to change his body for good, and defy what the doctors had predicted.
He started walking, and now walks approximately 40-60 miles each week and currently weighs 175-180.
He has no sugar problems, his cholesterol is perfect, and miraculously, he has no cardiac problems whatsoever.

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com/news/General+News/43009/Frum+Man+Walks+From+Brooklyn+To+Liberty+Bell+in+Philadelphia+To+Raise+Health+Awareness.html

To really scare you into action, click on the link below for an article by Lionel Shriver entitled My brother is eating himself to death. Unfortunately, soon after the column was filed, the journalist's brother did indeed die.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/dec/01/lionel-shriver-my-obese-brother

No comments:

Post a Comment