בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



10 Sept 2009

No man is an island

My students had been studying a particularly boring text about the Isle of Sark for the past two days and I was looking for something to relieve the monotony. From the recesses of my mind, I recalled a poem and a song that had been composed about an island. Since we were learning about an isle, I thought I could teach the students the words to "No Man is an Island."

No man is an island, no man stands alone
Each man's joy is joy to me
Each man's grief is my own
We need one another, so I will defend
Each man as my brother
Each man as my friend
No man is an island far out in the blue
We all look to One above
Who our strength doth renew
When I help my brother
Then I know that I plant the seeds
Of friendship that will never die
I saw the people gather
I heard the music start
The song that they were singing
Is ringing in my heart
No man is an island, no man stands alone
Each man's joy is joy to me
Each man's grief is my own
We need one another, so I will defend
Each man as my brother
Each man as my friend
http://www.lyricsdownload.com/unknown-no-man-is-an-island-lyrics.html

As I read the lyrics, "No man stands alone", I was reminded of the words of Pirkei Avot, "And if I am only for myself, what am I?"
When I focused on the words, "Each man's joy is my own", I recalled a conversation I had with a friend about a mutual acquaintance, Mrs. B, who had a 30 year old single daughter. My friend related to me how much she admires Mrs. B. as to how she wholeheartedly rejoices when she hears somone gets engaged. Her daughter's single status does not hamper her from participating fully in the joy of another. And I resolved to emulate her.
The lesson went well. As the class drew to an end, one girl raised her hand and said, "Thank you. The words of the song are beautiful."
I was left with a warm feeling.





No comments:

Post a Comment