בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



1 Jun 2009

His best customer

For those of you who haven't read the Jpost article entitled "Veterans: Rose Saperstein: From New York to Jerusalem" by Jerrin Zumberg, the following text includes salient paragraphs about the nonagenarian. There is much to be learned from her life, how she kept busy by doing volunteer work and about her unshakable faith in the Almighty. Let's begin to live our lives according to her precepts, and we just might make it to a ripe old age, G-d willing.

"At 92, Rose Saperstein still prepares her famous spice cakes and vegetable liver for her family each Shabbat and reads an average four books a week.
...Born in Manhattan in 1917, Saperstein grew up on the Lower East Side in a neighborhood bustling with Orthodox Jewish life.
"We aren't only Orthodox, but fervent believers in the Almighty," she says."
"By the time she was married to a young businessman and World War II had come and gone, she was already deep into her life's work: volunteering."
"While Saperstein's husband buried his nose in the Talmud for the couple's retirement years, she kept busy volunteering. For 17 years she painted tanks, prepared and cleaned weapons for soldiers and tidied army bases. "I was past 80 and I was still in the army," she says proudly.
She also spent her days volunteering with the blind and for 17 years worked in the geriatrics ward and hospice at Shaare Zedek Hospital in Jerusalem."
"
A deeply religious woman, she relies on her faith to explain not only the purpose of her life, but all her actions.
"I'm a very religious person in the sense that I don't make a move without feeling the Almighty is with me. One hundred times a day I find reasons to thank Him. I feel His presence and that is what keeps me going. I would say that is the essence of my life. I am His best customer."

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1243346489774&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

No comments:

Post a Comment