בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



2 Apr 2009

OFFB - Yes we can!!!!!!!

The other day, I began my diatribe about Facebook. Soon after, I came across an article by Rabbi Shmully Boteach. Permit me to quote the salient portion regarding the subject of Facebook.
"Every day I receive tens of emails from complete strangers in the religious community asking me if I can suggest a shidduch for them. But the increasing superficiality in the frum dating scene has me often feeling despair, like the story a year ago when I was going to introduce a young yeshiva scholar with a razor-sharp intellect to a brilliant frum intellectual woman who seemed perfect for him. The day before they were meant to go out he called me to tell me he was cancelling the date. He had seen her picture on FaceBook and decided he was not attracted to her. I was shocked. First, even by the most objective standards the girl is highly attractive. Second, the bochur did not even feel any shame in telling me that with the glance of a single picture he had dismissed the entire idea."

If the above anecdote is not reason enough to get off Facebook, here's another more sinister reason. Last week, it was reported in a New York newspaper that a 16-year-old confessed to the slaying of a radio newsman, who was stabbed multiple times. A source told the newspaper that the radio broadcaster and the teen had met on Craigslist and had been e-mailing one another. So, another reason to sign out of Facebook is because you don't know with whom you are chatting.
Girls, I grew up with the terms FFB (frum from birth) and BT (baalei teshuva). Let's start a new term for our generation. OFFB (off from Facebook). Afraid that if you leave Facebook, you won't belong to a group anymore? Start a new group of OFFBs. Anyone willing to print buttons with the new group's name for these intrepid girls?
OFFB Yes we can!!!!!!
(No, we can't.
Yes we can. Would you stop being so negative?)




No comments:

Post a Comment