בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



27 Apr 2009

Initiate a greeting of peace

"The Talmud states that no man ....ever preceded Rabban Yochanan ben Zakkai in extending a greeting of peace (Berachos 17a).
Our Sages taught: “Initiate a greeting of peace to every person” (Avos 4:20). What is meant by “every person”? Even if you know that someone bears you ill will, nevertheless, initiate a greeting of peace toward him. This will awaken a feeling of love for you within him. And even if he will not humble himself to make peace with you, God will humble him before you [so that he will not cause you any harm]. An allusion to this is found in Scripture, “But if he does not make peace with you ... HASHEM shall deliver him into your hand” (Devarim 20:12-13).
Illustrative of the above is the story of David and Shaul. David sought peace with Shaul, while Shaul, far from being appeased, pursued David with the intent of harming him. Thus did David say, “I am peace —but when I speak, they are for war” (Tehillim 120:7). In two separate episodes, Hashem gave Shaul over into David’s hands [and David could have easily killed him]. Yet, it did not enter David’s mind to cause Shaul any harm, for man must love peace and pursue it."

The above was part of the daily halacha I received from the Chofetz Chaim heritage foundation.To sign up for a daily email, click here.
As a child, we used to play the game, "I got you last", trying to be the one to get in the last slap on our sibling before our mother would stop the fighting. As an adult, I intend to play, "I got you first", being the first one to greet someone. And if that person doesn't respond, I won't call her a snob. Rather, I will judge her favorably. In all probability, she didn't see me or she didn't hear me.

No comments:

Post a Comment