בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



21 Mar 2009

Insurmountable Problems

The puzzle in this week's Hamodia magazine read:

What's the next line?
2
12
1112
3112
132112
1113122112
?

I pored over the stream of numbers until my eyes blurred. I tried coming up with letter substitutes and mathermatical equations, to no avail. "I give up. I'll just have to wait till next week's edition to see the solution", I told myself.
The day passed uneventfully and it was time for bed. As my head hit the pillow, I mentally recited the numbers. "That's it. It was simple. Why hadn't I thought of that before?"
That night I learned a lesson that seemingly insurmountable problems can have uncomplicated solutions. I learned not to give up so easily. Persevere, and you just might attain your goal.

1 comment:

  1. Very cute problem. Took me a few minutes but I did figure out the progression. I will certainly try to apply the lesson you drew from your experience to other areas of my own life, though I fear the solutions to real-life issues are far more complex than those for simple number patterns. And so, I leave this cryptic coda for your readers to ponder, GMOOH!!!

    ReplyDelete