בס׳ד

"Where does it say that you have a contract with G-d to have an easy life?"

the Lubavitcher Rebbe



"Failure is not the enemy of success; it is its prerequisite."

Rabbi Nosson Scherman



10 Mar 2009

Let the Pesach cleaning begin



Click on the cartoon to enlarge so that you can read the words of the sign hanging in the kitchen.
Well, Purim was great fun, but now I've got to get down to the serious business of Pesach cleaning. Actually, I did a bit of Pesach cleaning on Purim. As I was about to deliver some shalach manos, my eyes set sight on two books atop a table. I had borrowed the books from a friend about a month ago, had finished reading them two weeks ago and hadn't gotten around to returning them. So, I added those books to my shopping bag and resolved to return them while making my shalach manos rounds. And, actually, I would be walking in the general direction of the place where I exchange my nearly full pushka box for an empty one. So, the pushke box went into my shopping bag, as well.
How many of us have objects in our home that were borrowed and never returned? As long as we are doing our Pesach cleaning, why not resolve to return the items that have been taking up space in your closet for the past weeks,( or years-dare I say).
What about the unfulfilled obligations we have never gotten around to doing? Last month, I heard a shiur in which the lecturer related a story about a man who was approached by the gabbai of his shul. "I know your father-in-law was niftar a little while back", he began, "but the fact is that he owed the shul a sum of money. The son-in-law inquired as to the sum of the debt and he immediately paid the gabbai in full. A short while later, it seems that the father-in-law appeared to his son-in-law in a dream. "You don't know how happy you have made me", he told him.
This week, a relative of mine attended a funeral of a man who was unexpectedly niftar in his fifties. We do not know when our time is up. So, let's settle our debts and return borrowed objects while we still can. The end result will be less clutter in our homes, thus making the job of Pesach cleaning easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment